Happy weekend everyone! This month was slightly more exciting than usual because I got my Ipsy bag AND my first TopBox, so for this post I decided to compare the two, instead doing two individual reviews.
I feel like every month I say “omg this is my favorite Ipsy bag” but that’s because every month they just keep sending cuter and cuter bags, so now THIS ONE is my new favorite. I love the “majestic” look and feel of them. Kind of reminds me of a mermaid-faerie hahaha.
1. Marc Anthony Argan Oil Deep Conditioning Treatment: I’ve actually used this before and I never really liked it but I couldn’t remember why until I just used this one. It’s waaay too heavy for my hair and made it feel crunchy and oily when I woke up the next morning. Definitely not a feeling you’d like to have after you’ve just washed your hair. My hair is chemically colored, I have a lot of it but it’s very fine, so anything that’s overly heavy will not work for me.
2. “This Works’ In Transit Camera Close-Up: Originally thought this was a primer, but it turns out it’s mask-moisturizer-primer combination which sounds super weird but it’s not too bad actually! I used it under my BB cream for work and I felt extremely moisturized that day, but surprisingly I didn’t feel oily or greasy after a few hours. Apparently this product is supposed to “even, plump and brighten skin instantly” and while I can’t say I really noticed it doing any of those things, I wasn’t put off by it so I’m sure I’ll keep using it until its empty.
3. “Beauty For Real” I-LINE 24-7 Eyeliner in Black Magic: Only used it on my water-line so far because I tend to stick to liquid liner for my lid. Honestly, can’t say anything super great about it because it’s just like any other eyeliner. I am happy I got it though as I was running short on my other one and I like to use it to smudge my smokey eye. Does it’s job well, no complaints!
4. Beau Gachis Paris Pro Series Applicator Sponge: I was SUUUPER excited when I saw I was getting a new beauty blender in my sneak preview. I’m obsessed with beauty blenders and I don’t think I could ever live without one again. I always buy the RealTechniques blenders because I think they’re the best, and I like the flat edge they have more than this tear-drop shaped one, but I actually really like this one for blender concealer and foundation. I always wet my blenders before use because they expand a bit and this one is no different, it’s huge! I also like that it’s black, because it looks cleaner and it’s incredibly easy to wash, the product came off instantly!
5. NYX Professional Makeup BORN TO GLOW LIQUID ILLUMINATOR in Sunbeam: I love NYX products and I LOOVE highlighters so I was obviously very pleased to have received this. I’ve used it a few times now and I looove the colour, the shine, and how nicely it blends with my QUO bronzer. 10 points for NYX, as per usual.
My first TopBox ever. I find it funny that I got such similar things in both of these on the same month: two primers, two argan oil treatments and two NYX products, such a weird coincidence!
1. Elizabeth Arden Skin Illuminating Cream: honestly, I haven’t even touched these yet. I was excited when I saw I was getting this because EA is such a great brand, but I can’t deny that I wasn’t mildly disappointed when I saw that there were just three small ass samples inside. I could get a sample of this anywhere without having to pay for it and wait for it to ship to my house.
2. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer: I love Smashbox, especially for primers, so I’ve been using this one almost every day. It’s just as amazing as the rest of their primers. I do wish they sent a bigger sample though, it’s tiiiiny!
3. Novex Argan Oil Deep Conditioner: so unlike the one I got from Ipsy, I actually LOVE this. This is probably the best thing about this TopBox because a) it’s a NORMAL SIZE and b) it makes my hair feel and look amazing! It’s so light compared to the Marc Anthony one and does not leave my hair feeling gross afterwards! I’ve never heard of this brand before but now I will definitely be looking at what else they have to offer.
4. NYX Butter Cream Gloss in Raspberry: not really a color that I would ever use, but like all NYX lip products I’ve tried, it applies nicely and isn’t drying. Who knows, I might actually get into purple colors for autumn!
I signed up for Topbox originally because I saw on their site that they carry a LOT of other brands than Ipsy does, most that are way more well-known and popular, and I read somewhere that they send “full size” products, so I figured I’d give it a try because it only comes out to $13.44CDN/month which is much cheaper than $17-$20 for Ipsy. Topbox ships on the 15th of every month and it got to me THE NEXT DAY which was super impressive as i’m usually waiting for my Ipsy for 10-20 days, depending. However, I wasn’t super impressed with my first TopBox. Ipsy may be a bit more expensive, but you get an extra product and a cute make up bag every time which almost makes it more worth it. I’ve decided to give TopBox another chance next month, so we’ll see if they can up their game and beat Ipsy!
I’d loove to know which one of these you guys are subscribed too and which one you like better! Let me know 🙂